Main Article Content
Anemia is the most common complication of chronic kidney disease (CKD) associated with reduced quality of life and increased morbidity and mortality. The purpose of this review was to discuss the management of anemia in CKD. The following topics are considered: prevalence of anemia, symptoms, and impact of anemia in CKD, diagnosis, iron replacement therapy, and erythropoiesis-stimulating agents.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.
Evans M, Bower H, Cockburn E, Jacobson SH, Barany P, Carrero JJ. Contemporary management of anaemia, erythropoietin resistance and cardiovascular risk in patients with advanced chronic kidney disease: a nationwide analysis. Clin Kidney J. 2020 May 1;13(5):821-827. doi: 10.1093/ckj/sfaa054.
Stack AG, Alghali A, Li X, Ferguson JP, Casserly LF, Cronin CJ, Reddan DN, Hussein W, Elsayed ME. Quality of care and practice patterns in anaemia management at specialist kidney clinics in Ireland: a national study. Clin Kidney J. 2018 Feb;11(1):99-107. doi: 10.1093/ckj/sfx060.
Awan AA, Walther CP, Richardson PA, Shah M, Winkelmayer WC, Navaneethan SD. Prevalence, correlates and outcomes of absolute and functional iron deficiency anemia in nondialysis-dependent chronic kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2021 Jan 1;36(1):129-136. doi: 10.1093/ndt/gfz192.
Lopes MB, Tu C, Zee J, Guedes M, et al. A real-world longitudinal study of anemia management in non-dialysis-dependent chronic kidney disease patients: a multinational analysis of CKDopps. Sci Rep. 2021 Jan 19;11(1):1784. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-79254-6.
NICE. NICE guideline: Chronic Kidney Disease: Managing Anaemia. Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng8. Accessed: 03 June 2015.
Sakaguchi Y, Hamano T, Wada A, Masakane I. Types of Erythropoietin-Stimulating Agents and Mortality among Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2019 Jun;30(6):1037-1048. doi: 10.1681/ASN.2018101007.
Minutolo R, Garofalo C, Chiodini P, et al. Types of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents and risk of end-stage kidney disease and death in patients with non-dialysis chronic kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2021 Jan 25;36(2):267-274. doi: 10.1093/ndt/gfaa088.
Cases A, Puchades MJ, de Sequera P, et al. Iron replacement therapy in the management of anaemia in non-dialysis chronic renal failure patients: Perspective of the Spanish Nephrology Society Anaemia Group. Nefrologia (Engl Ed). 2021 Mar-Apr;41(2):123-136. doi: 10.1016/j.nefro.2020.11.003.
Richardson S, Hirsch JS, Narasimhan M, et al. Presenting Characteristics, Comorbidities, and Outcomes Among 5700 Patients Hospitalized With COVID-19 in the New York City Area. JAMA. 2020 May 26;323(20):2052-2059. doi: 10.1001/jama.2020.6775.
Serebrovska ZO, Chong EY, Serebrovska TV, Tumanovska LV, Xi L. Hypoxia, HIF-1α, and COVID-19: from pathogenic factors to potential therapeutic targets. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2020 Dec;41(12):1539-1546. doi: 10.1038/s41401-020-00554-8.
Liu W, Zhang S, Nekhai S, Liu S. Depriving Iron Supply to the Virus Represents a Promising Adjuvant Therapeutic Against Viral Survival. Curr Clin Microbiol Rep. 2020 Apr 20:1-7. doi: 10.1007/s40588-020-00140-w.
Wong MMY, Tu C, Li Y, et al; CKDopps Investigators. Anemia and iron deficiency among chronic kidney disease Stages 3-5ND patients in the Chronic Kidney Disease Outcomes and Practice Patterns Study: often unmeasured, variably treated. Clin Kidney J. 2019 Aug 3;13(4):613-624. doi: 10.1093/ckj/sfz091.
Mathias SD, Blum SI, Sikirica V, Johansen KL, Colwell HH, Okoro T. Symptoms and impacts in anemia of chronic kidney disease. J Patient Rep Outcomes. 2020 Jul 29;4(1):64. doi: 10.1186/s41687-020-00215-8.
Cases-Amenós A, Martínez-Castelao A, Fort-Ros J, et al; Investigadores del Estudio Micenas I. Prevalence of anaemia and its clinical management in patients with stages 3-5 chronic kidney disease not on dialysis in Catalonia: MICENAS I study. Nefrologia. 2014;34(2):189-98. English, Spanish. doi: 10.3265/Nefrologia.pre2013.Dec.12261.
Ryu SR, Park SK, Jung JY, Kim YH, Oh YK, Yoo TH, Sung S. The Prevalence and Management of Anemia in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients: Result from the KoreaN Cohort Study for Outcomes in Patients With Chronic Kidney Disease (KNOW-CKD). J Korean Med Sci. 2017 Feb;32(2):249-256. doi: 10.3346/jkms.2017.32.2.249.
Ministry of Health of Ukraine. Order dated February 11, 2016 No 89: Unified clinical protocol for secondary (specialized) and tertiary (highly specialized) medical care "Treatment of patients with stage V chronic kidney disease with anemia. Available from: http://inephrology.kiev.ua/?page_id=1236.
Ministry of Health of Ukraine. Order dated July 20, 2005 No 365: On the approval of the protocols for the provision of medical care to children in the specialty Pediatric Nephrology: the protocol for the treatment of children with pyelonephritis; protocol for the treatment of children with chronic renal failure. Available from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/rada/show/v0365282-05#Text